Monday, February 23, 2009

The 4 years was worth the wait for "gotcha" day.

In the international adoption arena, adoptive parents refer to "gotcha day." There was no organization or ceremony for our gotcha day today. Babies apparently got off the bus and suddenly 2 sets of parents were handed children outside the room we were in. Then other babies were brought in and other parents ahead of me indicated that they thought it was Megan (we had previously seen pictures of all the babies). I started to move closer and they called my name. The baby's caretaker was in her early 20's. She seemed hesitant to hand her over until she saw my smiling face and then gave her to me when I reached for her. Megan is more petite than the pictures seemed. Size 18 months is large on her. She is used to fending for herself. She is teething and keeps sticking her index finger into her mouth. She did not want the pacifier, teethers, dolly, or Cookie Monster. She was only interested in getting any paper and sticking it into her mouth. I changed 4 diapers. She peed and pooped. She seemed to feel better once we took off the layers of clothes which were too hot for the weather. She did not like the sponge bath or being naked but liked her new clothes. I laid down in the bed next to the portable crib and she kept staring at me through the netting, even pulling herself up to make sure she could see me. She is asleep now and soon I will go to bed myself. Tomorrow, 2/24, is the day she is deemed legally mine and we sign paperwork with the Chinese officials and pay the remaining fees. I have had to hold back some tears tonight because I miss Jim and can't believe he will not be there to see her when we get home. The day before our departure I found the SD cards for the camera which I had forgotten he had purchased for me. He is sorely missed on this trip.

1 comment:

  1. we love you you are doing great she is beautiful she is a miracle

    ReplyDelete