Saturday, February 14, 2009

I never said I was a history teacher but here is my shot....

These are the 2 most recent pictures that have been received of her. She is almost 20lbs already and just turned a year a few days ago (2/10/09). We were hoping to have been in China for her first birthday but just a few more days before we leave. (Notice the red shoes: red in Chinese means good luck)
The provinces we are going to are Chungking (Chun-ching) and Guangzhou (Guan-gho). The pronunciation and and spelling of the places don't translate as easily so based on the spelling we had and the pronunciation these are the names that I was able to find in my research that matches what we knew about locations et al.

There were a few spelling for Chungking but this one seems to be the most common. It is a very industrialized area and we are expecting alot of smog as it's nickname is "Furnace of Yangtze" because of all the soot. It is considered to be one of the most polluted cities in China. The tempertaure is not going to be as warm as Guangzhou but still not to bad with the average said to be about 47degrees Farenheit in February (one of the 2 coolest months).

The second place we are going to is Guangzhou in Guangdong. Guangdong is the province but Guangzhou is the largest city within the province.* This is supposed to be a less polluated area and one of the richer areas of the country. The weather is said to be more humid and has very short, dry and mild winters, while the summer seem to last forever with the average temperature of 91degrees farenheit in July and an average low of 64 in January. If these temps hold true we should be enjoying some nicer weather than we currently are. Of course the drastic temperature change is going to guareentee us to get sick.


*My disclaimer: It's very confusing how the country, provinces and cities all work together having changed dynasty hands many times over the history so doing this research I was very unsure if I even had the correct places but since these are the only places I can come up with, we are going with this information for the time being. I promise if I have made any mistakes, I will correct them as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment