Sunday, February 22, 2009

Teresa in China

While Arlie was typing, I was taking a nap. I am still jetlagged. By the time we arrived at the first hotel last night in Guangzhou, I had been up 26 hours. We got up to our first hotel room on the 19th floor to find out our key cards had not been properly activated. When we went back up, one card did not work and the room had only a king-size bed. When we went back down the next time, I let the desk know that I had been up 26 hours and needed an appropriate room right away (said in stronger way because I was punch drunk on fatigue at that point). Arlie believes they are now afraid of me. I am fine with that. Once we got to a suitable room on 10th floor, I peeled off clothes and fell asleep immediately without unpacking a thing.

When we got up at about 4 am, we had to substantially downsize the luggage to take to Chongquing. There is one very heavy piece of luggage sitting for us in Guangzhou while I have maybe 3 tops for the full week in Chongquing. The temperature in Chongquing is warmer than we were led to believe and Arlie and I have been too hot especially since we have the wrong clothes. Also difficult to breath because everyone here smokes. I have a sore throat but hope it is gone by tomorrow. This is the end of the whining. By 3:30 pm or so tomorrow (2:30 AM on Monday for NY), we will see Megan for the first time and then we'll remember why we are putting up with any discomfort. She has the most clothes (although we did open up her vacuum packed clothes and reduce her clothing) and will probably like the heat.

2 comments:

  1. this is really something a diary of some sort
    pretty cool keep us informed Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It's great that you can access this from China! Can't wait to hear about your meeting.

    ReplyDelete